Date:      Sun, 02 Oct 2016 11:19:14 +0200
From:      Matthew Rezny <matthew@reztek.cz>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, gecko@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Seamonkey and QupZilla need update?

On Sunday 02 October 2016 08:00:03 Thomas Mueller wrote:
> What is the status of www/seamonkey and prospect of updating from 2.39 to
> the current 2.40, which was released from upstream on March 14, 2016?
>
> What makes me nervous is my bank saber-rattling about needing a more current
> browser.
>
> Seamonkey 2.39 worked on this bank, now it blocks me with error message
> about my browser not being up-to-date; Seamonkey still works for other
> online financial services.
>
> I figure either the bank website doesn't like Seamonkey, though Firefox also
> appears in the user-agent string, or doesn't like FreeBSD, insisting on
> Windows or Mac.
>
> I also have www/qupzilla-qt4 1.8.9, see on qupzilla.com that current version
> is 2.0.1.  I have used qupzilla-qt4 1.8.9, but it seems less robust that
> Seamonkey 2.39.  Reason for my interest is the ability to fudge the
> user-agent string; I believe Xombrero and Midori also have this ability.
>
> If I have to build qupzilla anew, hopefully updated, I might switch to
> qupzilla-qt5.

Qupzill-qt5 is a much better choice than qupzilla-qt4 due to the newer webkit
included in qt5, relative to qt4. That is version of webkit in qt5 (even 5.6)
is quite dated.

QupZilla 2.x is signiificantly different, re-written to use qtwebengine instead
of qtwebkit. qtwebengine has not been ported since that is a task similar to
Chromium and upstream (Google) does not accept patched for platforms they
don't support, i.e. *BSD. QupZilla 2.x will be a separate port from QupZilla
1.x, but that will not come until qtwebengine.

Meanwhile, there is a new effort to maintain qtwebkit upstream, and this is
being tested. It is not yet feature complete, but there should be an updated
qtwebkit sooner or later which works with QupZilla 1.x and other browsers.