Date:      Wed, 03 Nov 1999 19:47:36 +0300
From:      Bean/Allie <allbean@mail.qualitynet.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   4mm tape drive - tape reading problems

I work at an office where data from various vendors are provided to us
on 4mm datatapes.  We have a new tape drive that does not seem to be
reading EOF messages (wild guess on my part).  The datatape will start
to read, then never stop until the file size fills its available disk
space.

I have very little hardware background. I'm an ex-pat working in Kuwait
Oil company, so our "computer support" is almost non-existent.  Any
strategies you could provide on trouble shooting this problem would be
af great help.  I came across this site while surfing the web.  If this
request is inappropriate, I apologize.

If you are still reading, here is some more background info.  We are
trying to load data ( LIS or LAS format) from the 4mm drive to UNIX
files on Sun Solaris machines.  To do this, I am using canned UNIX
scripts that write the data from tape to a UNIX file.  We have several
older tape drives in our office that can read these datatapes properly.
The newest drive cannot.  As suggested above, with the new drive, the
script appears to start reading the data, the UNIX file keeps getting
larger and larger until the disk is full or until I CNTL-C to stop the
process.  I doesn't appear that any real data is being written into the
UNIX file.

I have asked our vendors for info on what kinds of tape drives they are
using to write the tapes, but that request seemed to stymie them.
Again, any strategies or pointed questions that I can ask them ( or our
own support group) would be appreciated.

Thank you

Clarke Bean
allbean@qualitynet.net
lbea@kockw.com