Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:49:32 +0200
From:      "Idar Tollefsen" <Idar.Tollefsen@baerum.kommune.no>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   System won't start with 3DLabs GVX1

Hello,

Altough not really an OS spesific questions as such,
I'm running out of places to look and people to ask
for and about this.

I'm trying to install a 3DLabs GVX1 PCI graphic card
in my 164LX (EB164) system. When the power is turned
on with this card installed, nothing happens! The
keyboard lights flashes once, there's about half a second
of disk activity, then the system dies. There's no
screen output what so ever.

I just upgraded the SRM from 5.6-3 to 5.8-1.
Compaq say they support the 3DLabs VX1 card on systems
with a minimum SRM version of 5.8 (5.9 for dual head, but
5.8 is the latest I can find for the 164LX). If someone
knows of a newer SRM version for the 164LX, I would
appreicate an URL to it...?

The VX1 uses the same processor, the 3DLabs GLINT R3.
In addition, the GVX1 has a Delta geometry processor.

I have no clue as to what could be wrong here. I've tested
the card in a x86 system just to se that it's not faulty,
and it works fine. I've also tried another monitor, but
with the same result. I even tried the card in all PCI
slots, both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Have anyone else tried this card, preferably with a
larger degree of success then I?

- IT