Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:24:01 +0800
From:      Shaun Dwyer <shaun@crystal.com.au>
To:        Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu2@xnet.ro>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum over (2xSCSI, 1xIDE) ?

I would be inclined to use the 20GB IDE disk for booting
as well as for extra space to back up the db to.

I would also do raid 1 on the two identical 18GB SCSI disks.

Nightly backups of the database to the IDE disk would be an
extremely good idea. You can never have too many backups.

Raid 1 should improve your read performance (Correct me if im
wrong here), however write performance will stay about the same
if not slow slightly.

This is all assuming that 18GB is enough space to store your database :)

I would also make the backup partition seperate on the 20GB disk, that way
if the vinum array fails for whatever reason, you can just null mount
the 'backup' partition in place of the array and keep working.

If all this machine is doing is holding a database, 2GB of space off
the 20GB disk should be more than enough to hold the OS+apps.

--Shaun