Date:      Sat, 5 Feb 2005 12:16:59 +0100
From:      Frode Nordahl <frode@nordahl.net>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
Cc:        'FreeBSD Current' <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ATA mkIII first official patches - please test!

On Feb 3, 2005, at 21:52, S=F8ren Schmidt wrote:

> ATA-mkIII first official snapshot.

Yes! Just in time! Thanks, S=F8ren :-)

Using kernel from RELENG_5, supped yesterday.

Tried to install on in a box with a Promise TX 2200 card, the bootup=20
took forever, but the install worked fine when it finished.

Maby related to the third "phantom" PATA bus on that board? :-)

I'm installing from network (PXE) and for some reason I don't get any=20
kernel messages on the console when doing that, so I don't know when or=20=

where it 'hangs'.

I forgot to copy in my modified kernel after the install, so I never=20
got it booting after that, but I'll redo as soon as possible and get=20
back with more details about this.

> o       ATA RAID support has been rewritten and and now supports these
>         metadata formats:
>                 "Adaptec HostRAID"
>                 "Highpoint V2 RocketRAID"
>                 "Highpoint V3 RocketRAID"
>                 "Intel MatrixRAID"
>                 "Integrated Technology Express"
>                 "LSILogic V2 MegaRAID"
>                 "LSILogic V3 MegaRAID"
>                 "Promise FastTrak"
>                 "Silicon Image Medley"

This works with my Intel S875WP1-E with Intel ICH5 / Adaptec HostRAID=20
onboard!

(The product specs says Promise controller, but that is only when you=20
buy the 4-ch SATA version)

However, if I create a RAID1 array in "Quick Mode", installation failes=20=

with write errors ("disk full"). The Adaptec management BIOS warns=20
about creating arrays in Quick Mode, so this may be a problem of=20
theirs.

Anyway, is there any way to detect that an array is created in this=20
way, and handle it, or warn about it?

The warning message from the BIOS says "You may need to repair the=20
array once OS is installed" or similar, so the array probably should be=20=

marked DEGRADED, and be rebuilded once the installation is finished.

I can no longer use my swap partition as dump device:

# dumpon /dev/ar0s1b
dumpon: ioctl(DIOCSKERNELDUMP): Operation not supported by device

But I'm not certain that it has ever been allowed? :-)

Maybe it won't work to have dump device on RAID, since the kernel won't=20=

be able to keep the RAID in shape when it's dumping core?

I have not done any extensive testing yet. I'll get these boxes=20
installed and set up various tests to see how it performs. I'll also do=20=

some hotswap testing on the TX2200.

> Enjoy!

I most certainly will! Thanks.

Regards,