Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 2015 07:51:11 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>, Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial@gmail.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP! Mysterious socket 843/tcp listening on CURRENT system

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015, Ian Smith wrote:

> >  But that is an other issue and it is most likely
> > due to the outdated documentation (that doc still uses port 37 for NTP
> > purposes and referes to the outdated divert mechanism using natd, see the
> > recent handbook). The internet is also full of ambigous examples.
>
> Yes, the handbook IPFW section is still crazy after all these years,
> despite ongoing attempts to limit the damage.  Best just ignore it.

Best overall would be to fix the documentation.  Given that there seems
to be more interest in IPFW lately, it would be nice if someone
well-versed in it would repair or even rewrite the IPFW handbook
section.  Rewrites are sometimes less work than fixing an old section
that no longer fits actual usage.

I have not used IPFW in years, but would be willing to help with an
edit/rewrite.