Date:      Sat, 06 Jan 1996 23:53:54 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        jkh@violet.berkeley.edu (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: If you want to see a FreeBSD magazine, please respond to this one!

> unknown market.  We know because we did it with Linux Journal.  FreeBSD,
> NETBSD, etc need to be able to show potential advertisers what the
> magazine will do for them or they need to find someone who has a pile of
> money and thinks blowing $20,000-$50,000/issue would be fun.

One of the reasons I have not responded to any of this, is that the
handfull of issues I have seen of the Linux Journal were not the kind
of stuff I would even consider reading if it were to be sent to me for
free.

I think there would be much more value to the FreeBSD cause by doing
something along the lines of "The Simple Times" (R.I.P) which was
published by making the .ps and .txt files available on the net and
via email lists.

What we need is an editor who wants to spearhead this and make it look
at least somewhat sensible from a graphical point of view.
I will happily help gather and produce some interesting material,
and I'm pretty sure we could guarantee at least one good article per
issue with some real stuff in it, rather than the "ls for experts (5/9)"
drivel LJ is so full of.

If we want to accept ads, then I think we get more value for the money
if they go to the FreeBSD Project than to actually print the magazine
and pay for a staff of typographers.

Well, just my personal position on this...

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.