Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2000 12:40:28 -0800
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Ilia Chipitsine <ilia@cgilh.chel.su>
Cc:        "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: another problem - dependency ... (Re: who the hell ported GNOME ??)

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 10:01:43PM +0500, Ilia Chipitsine wrote:
> hope next step will be "upgrading packages without reinstalling"

You seem intent on wanting to start a flame war...  so here's some work
for you to do.  Any comments or complaints until this is done will now
be simply laziness on your part ;-)

There is a quick and easy way to upgrade packages.  We find the old pkg
in /var/db/pkg, and get it's PLIST.  We then merge it's PLIST with our
new one, removing duplicate entries.  We then install our files, and
install in /var/db/pkg with the merged PLIST.  Then we go through all
the ports which the old package depend on or that the depended on the
old package (all this info is in /var/db/pkg/foo-1.0/) and change
references to the new package name.  Then we install our new depends if
any.

The source code is in /usr/src/usr.bin/pkg_install/

The only hard part is working out what's an old version of this
package...

Regards,
 -Jeremy

--
FreeBSD - Because the best things in life are free...
                                           http://www.freebsd.org/