Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 04:56:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Cliff Rowley <dozprompt@onsea.com>
To:        Christiaan <vision@nol.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Big problems.

> I am installing FreeBSD 3.4 but the bootdisks dont work.
> I have downloaded them from the several biggest FTP sites.
> I am installing FreeBSD 4.0 but the bootdisks dont work.
> I have downloaded them from the serveral biggest FTP SITES.

Any chance you could be a little more verbose?

> When I did a cvsup for FBSD 3.4 to 4.0 it broke my whole box.

You obviously failed to research.  It's quite common for an upgrade path
between major versions of any software to be tricky or broken.  In this
case, it's not broken, but it's not particularly easy.  A simple mailing
list search and a read of /usr/src/UPDATING would have told you what is
required to upgrade.

> Its a highly important mail server and its completly and utterly broken.

The more fool you for tampering with a production system.  You shouldnt be
installing x.0 software onto it anyway.  Until a piece of software reaches
x.1, it is still considered to be teething.

> I wiped it already in attempt of an reinstall.
> I never ever had problems like this with FBSD 3.1, 3.2, 3.3.

See answers above.

> Why now?

User error.

Cliff Rowley