Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 01:40:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Oliver Braun <obraun@informatik.unibw-muenchen.de>
To:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/36028: cannot build gnomevfs with gettext WANT_FULL_GETTEXT

The following reply was made to PR ports/36028; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Oliver Braun <obraun@informatik.unibw-muenchen.de>
To: sobomax@FreeBSD.org
Cc: freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 10:38:31 +0100

 Hi Maxim,

 > The problem is that WANT_FULL_GETTEXT knob is provided for developers
 > only, who know what they do. For all others, it just going to break many
 > things. Therefore, please deinstall gettext-0.10.40, rebuild it without
 > WANT_FULL_GETTEXT and reinstall. After that you should be fine.

 Ok. I got this, but as Udo Schweigert has pointed out already [1] on
 this list:

 > I just run portupgrade wihich updated gettext to 0.10.40. Unfortunately this
 > port now does not build the shared libraries by default, you have to turn
 > it on via the WANT_FULL_GETTEXT knob.
 > Because I hadn't a working libintl after that upgrade other portupgrades
 > e.g mozilla, failed because configure did not detect the libintl.

 So I just want to point out that turning on WANT_FULL_GETTEXT could
 cause other problems.

 Is it recommended to have both gettext-0.10.40 and gettext-0.10.35
 installed?

 Regards,
          Olli

 1. Message-ID: <20020316083402.GA68217@alaska.cert.siemens.de>