Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:42:09 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   can several java distributions coexist?

Hi!

I have for some time two jdk131 installations, the native
FreeBSD one and the linux one.

Question: since java applications are not 'branded' in the
notion of brandelf, what is the use of having a linux-java?
Just for linux-browsers to use it?

Question 2: I am about to install and try newer versions of
both Artemis and ACT (see /usr/ports/biology). However, a
notice on the master site says:

	UNIX users should get Java version 1.1 from the Sun JDK 1.1
	download page or the JDK 1.1 ports page. Newer versions of
	Java may be suitable depending on the platform.

	GNU/Linux users should install the Blackdown.org beta
	release of JRE version 1.4.1. The Sun versions of Java
	1.3.1, 1.4.0 and 1.4.1 have various long-standing bugs
	(4533641, 4627564) which make them unusable.

Now, what do they mean by 'UNIX users' and 'depending on the
platform'. Of course I am asking this question to them, but
would also like to hear opinions from the FreeBSD Java
people as to how stable/buggy are the Sun versions on
FreeBSD.
Again, what if I just rm the FreeBSD native jdk and keep
only the linux one. Would a java app find it? May I then try
blackdown.org's linux-java as suggested by the developers of
artemis and act?

TIA,

Fernan

PS: please CC me in the reply, since I'm not subscribed to
this list

--
F e r n a n   A g u e r o
http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan