Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2001 20:28:43 +0200 (METDST)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        Michael Harnois <mharnois@cpinternet.com>
Cc:        Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@hcs.de>, Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: postfix fails to start

From=20the keyboard of Michael Harnois:

>     >  Sep 7 16:19:49 hmscrap postfix[372]: fatal: could not find any
>     > active network interfaces
>=20
> Do you have a way to try dhclient? As I said, that failed with a
> similar error for me.

I=B4ll see if i can try.

In the meantime i tried to find out why postfix fails: for the "postfix"
port, it fails in postfix=B4 src/util/inet_addr_local.c and (thank Wietse
Venema, it seems _all_ files have a builtin TEST case with a main() !!!)
one can compile just this file with=20

cc -o TEST -DTEST -DFREEBSD5 -I../../include -L../../lib inet_addr_local.c =
-lutil

in that same subdirctory and get a program TEST which when executed exhibits
the above described behaviour.

The main thing this program does is to open a socket and then do a

	ioctl(sock, SIOCGIFCONF, (char *) &ifc)

which does not fail, but seems that it somehow does not work as advertized
anymore.

Perhaps i can find out more later as i now have to tell my kids
a goodnight story ....

hellmuth
--=20
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 55 97 47=
-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 55 97 47=
-77
Oldesloer Strasse 97-99                               Mail  hm [at] hcs.de
D-22457 Hamburg                                       WWW   http://www.hcs.=
de