Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 95 11:05:20 EST
From:      Andrew McRae <andrew@mega.com.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Configuring driver added via LKM

Terry Lambert writes:
>I think in general that the features that make a driver a good
>"plug-n-play" citizen will do the same for making it a good LKM
>citizen;

I am in the midst of hacking the PCMCIA stuff to remove it from
the ISA model and place it under a separate bus. Meantime I am
redoing the kernel interface to the drivers to allow a much
better disconnect and reconnect scheme. The benefit of
doing this under PCMCIA is that you can have a card manager
that controls this, and the `schedule for disconnect' is
someone removing a card.

A paper about it is on dmssyd.syd.dms.csiro.au under /pri/mcrae
It is a little light on details, but gives the general direction
I am going.

Cheers,
Andrew McRae			inet:	andrew@mega.com.au
MITS Real Time Ltd,		uucp:	..!uunet!mega.com.au!andrew
North Ryde  2113		Phone:	+61 2 805 0899
NSW    AUSTRALIA		Fax:	+61 2 887 4847