Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 97 12:39:58 CST
From:      eck@sc10.dseg.ti.com (Terry Eck)
To:        questions@freebsd.com
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD

Hello,
First of all this is my first post to the list. I currently run Linux
and am interested in running FreeBSD. I've tried using the boot disk
provided for Release 2.1.7 and I a little confused about the notation
used for "slicing" a hard disk. Basically I have 2 IDE drives and one
SCSI. I've got 500meg free on the SCSI. I could find about 50meg free
on the first IDE. If I were installing Linux I'd put / on the 50meg
of the first IDE and the rest of the system on the 500meg of the SCSI.
Is is possible to split FreeBSD like this? As I said, the notation used
for the disk partitioning is new to me and I'm afraid of screwing some-
thing up. Can anyone point me to some documentation which explains
FreeBSD partitioning, where the kernel is located, schemes for laying
out the filesystem, etc. It should be fairly basic information.

Thanks for any advice.

Terry Eck

Terry Eck
eck@sc10.dseg.ti.com       //// Hukt on Foniks Rilly Wurkt Fer Mee! ////