Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 21:15:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@argus>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On Holy Wars, and a Plea for Peace [sorry Danny, wherever you are, but the title fits]...

In reply:
> I supposed this semantic attack serves me right for attempting to be
> terse in my reponse in consideration of past requests by you, Jordan,
> et. al..  If this is the use to which you choose to put my attempted
> conformance to those requests... C'este la guerre.

[etc, etc, etc, etc...]

wake up, smell the coffee...  the topic was changed to how to market
FreeBSD, not filesystems, implementation issues, etc...

let's hear some constructive comments on how such things as i outlined
last night might be accomplished...

i'll add another few items to my list from last night...

	1). chop the price in half to $19.95.

	2). drop the subscription priceing, if it's cheap to begin with,
	    then there is no need for a subscription rate...

	3). keep SNAP releases as a mail-order item, keep the
            experimenters happy, but don't confuse the dweebs, er,
	    general public by putting SNAP cds on the shelves...

if marketed as i outlined, this will sell more cds in one fell swoop
than have been sold to date...  the trick is to PUT IT ON THE
SHELVES...  AVAILABILITY IS WHAT MAKES DEVELOPERS TAKE NOTICE [in case
you haven't noticed, that has been my point in the entire
discussion]...

FreeBSD should be the first *UNIX* to do this...

Just ask around, people know about FreeBSD, or have heard of it, and
upon learning a bit about it are willing to try it, but invariably the
end result is that the user cannot easily get it...  if the end user
cannot easily obtain the solution, and other solutions are easily
obtainable, the developers will pick the latter.

QED

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or