Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:46:10 -0600
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: openssh not setting DISPLAY

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > (Somehow I think ForwardX11 yes should be the default, but
> > it seems not to be.)
>
> It's not the default because it allows the remote system to snoop your
> X display, and that's not something you might want so we default to
> being secure.

In that case the default ssh_config is a bit misleading - it
says

# This is ssh client systemwide configuration file.  This file provides
# defaults for users, and the values can be changed in per-user configuration
# files or on the command line.

#   ForwardX11 yes

giving the impression that the default is

ForwardX11 yes

Maybe I am reasing it wrong.

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith