Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 1996 22:00:04 -0700
From:      wes@intele.net
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   questions-digest V1 #696

On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Adrian T. Filipi-Martin wrote:
 > My understanding, from talking with a person from HP who should
 > know, is that HP-UX 10.x still uses the old code base - it
 > definately is not a rewrite, or SYSVR4, they just added another
 > layer over the same old stuff.  This includes the changes to the
 > file system.  Also, the BSDish features of HP-UX do not share code
 > with the SYSV features. It's like two OS's in one.  I have no first
 > hand knowledge of this (I'm just a user), just passing along
 > rumors.

The actual System V code base for HP-UX was SVR2, believe it or don't.
It has been heavily hacked by HP, adding a number of SVR3, SVR4, and
BSDish features since then, plus those lovely HP features like file
ACLs and clusters.  All in all, I agree heartily that Mr. Packard (RIP)
should have put *his* name first.

 > Sorry this is off the subject, but HP-UX is a hot-button for me.

PH-UX certainly doesn't suck as hard as AIX.  Or SCO.  ;^)

--
   Wes Peters	| Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
    Softweyr 	| The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder