Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 2004 13:18:37 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        f-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alternative options for ports

--nextPart2653160.g714j1ZNdE

On Saturday 16 October 2004 01:14, Parv wrote:
> I suppose i had to wade in sooner or later ...
>

> in message <200410152156.16113.michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>,
> wrote Michael Nottebrock thusly...
>
> > On Friday 15 October 2004 16:15, Erik Trulsson wrote:
> > > I almost never use binary packages but build everything from
> > > source. (I.e. I would probably barely notice if all binary
> > > packages suddenly disappeared never to return.)
>
> Well, i certainly be mightily ticked off (due to lack of *some* of
> the packages) when i lack the resources to build a humongous port
> like Open Office.
>
> > I realise that there is a fraction of ports users which don't care
> > about packages at all ...  but they are not the primary target
> > audience of ports, as I pointed out before.
>
> Michael N, do you imply in above quote that FreeBSD ports system's
> main purpose is to provide packages?

No, it's _one_ main purpose. Unlike portage or certain big rpm-based Linux=
=20
distributions, freebsd ports does not lean towards either source or binary.=
=20
This implies however both the package and 'the cd portdir; make; make=20
install' of installing a port need to be taken into consideration when=20
creating and maintaining a port. Packages are NOT a second class byproduct =
of=20
ports which are nice when they are nice and if they're not, it doesn't matt=
er=20
anyway. If the package of a certain port sucks, the port sucks, it's as=20
simple as that.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org