Date:      Wed, 28 Dec 2011 04:38:08 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: stuck /etc/rc autoboot processes

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 11:45:37AM +0100, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
> On 12/28/11 10:46 AM, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
> > On 12/27/11 10:22 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> >> On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 07:46:52PM +0100, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
> >
> > The "upgrade" that troubles me with these stuck processes is 8.2-STABLE
> > down to 8.2-RELEASE-p5.
> >
> > For this as well, I have not seen anything in UPDATING.
> >
> >> rm -fr /usr/obj/*
> >> rm -fr /var/db/sup/src-all
> >> rm -fr /usr/src/*
> >> csup ...
> >>

> > That's a goood idea, I'll note that down.
> >
> > Are you sure about removing /usr/src/* ?

I realise you've found that it stalls on local package initialisation,
but I wanted to answer this question:

Yes, absolutely 100% sure about removing /usr/src/*.  The reason is that
the files within those directories contain CVS Id reference numbers that
may not match what you're checking out via csup; meaning, there may be a
conflict.  It's best to remove /usr/src/* and /var/db/sup/src-all in
this situation.  Removing one but not the other can result in problems.

> >> This doesn't look correct.  The process you should be following is
> >> documented plainly in /usr/src/Makefile.  You're missing some steps.
> >>
> >> Try doing what I recommended above, and following what's in
> >> /usr/src/Makefile, and then see if things improve.
> >
> > I'm reading through it now, the only steps I haven't run seem to be
> > delete-old and delete-old-libs.

It looks to me like you're missing the "mergemaster -p" stage, as well
as booting into single-user to do the installation (unless of course by
"rebooted again with the new kernel and installed the world" implied you
booted into single-user).

> > I'll try that removing all /usr/src/ , /usr/obj/ , csuping again and
> > redoing the steps including the removals.

> I just logged on the machine's remote console and ^C 'd it, and that
> gave me a login prompt (although I could ssh just fine otherwise !) and
> cleared the autoboot processes.
>
> I'm now looking for the reason why this message was displayed and why it
> was stuck.

Others have recommended rc_debug -- I agree with this.  It may not shed
entire light on what's going on (meaning we may end up knowing what
command causes the problem but not what the command is doing
internally).

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |