Date:      Mon, 06 Aug 2001 09:25:09 -0400
From:      "Christopher T. Jewett" <ctjewett@zdnetonebox.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thanks to all -- A couple of suggestions

There are a few things that you should beware of before trying to install
FreeBSD that I'm not so sure you've considered, judging from your email.

1.  You're ISP being AOL is not compatible with FreeBSD.  You won't be
able to connect to their system through normal dial-up protocols, therefore
you will not have an internet connection.  This would make it impossible
to install FreeBSD from FTP (which would be downright slow anyhow, over
dialup.)  My suggestion is burn a CD from the ISO image if you can get
access to a CDR and a fast connection.

2.  It appears as if you are attempting to install FreeBSD on a hard
drive that is partitioned for Windows 98 to use the entire hard disk.
 The additional 2MB of disk space is something the FAT file system couldn't
fill up, due to limitations of the file system architecture.  It would
be possible to use your existing hard disk for the OS installation, however
it would require that you back-up the contents of your hard drive and
use DOS's fdisk utility to repartition your hard drive into two equal
partitions. (or however you prefer.)  After that, you will find it necessary
to re-install Windows 98 first, followed by FreeBSD second.

3.  It sounds like you don't have a whole lot of experience working with
Unix.  I know you're probably sick of hearing this, but it's *SO* true.
 READ, READ, READ, READ as much as you possibly can before going in both
feet forward.  You want to at least be sure you can login, logout, reboot,
shutdown, move in and out of directories, copy files, understand permissions,
and know how to start and kill X.  It may sound like a lot, but really
it won't take long to discover all that, and it'll save you *a LOT* of
headache after you install the system.

4.  While I *DEFINATELY* prefer FreeBSD as a Unix system over Linux,
might I suggest that Red Hat 7.2 or Mandrake Linux be a better starting
point to learn Unix while still having the comfort of a GUI.  FreeBSD
will certainly *FORCE* you to learn Unix in a much cleaner, more organized
environment, but it's certainly a *LOT* more intimidating.

Just some suggestions before you begin.  Welcome to Unix!  It's such
a FANTASTIC collection of code that just requires a little patience and
learning.  :-)

Chris