Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:23:01 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        Jim Pirzyk <jim@pirzyk.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: XFree86 on a DS10

I'd suggest going back to XFree86 v3.xx - 4 is kind of flaky and may or
may not work depending on the model of alpha you have, the modules you
load (or have disabled in the build), what video card you have etc.

Also, trying not the latest version of 4.x might help.

For instance, on my PWS 433au I have a millenium I card that works great
under v3.

I've built several versions of v4. Under the stock build from cvsupped
ports, X -configure core dumps (int10 module, which, if you build the
do-nothing stubs in place of that module, -configure works fine).  If you
do disable the int10 module, and supply a reasonable XF86Config, then you
get machine checks.  Building 4.1.0 (int10 module stubbed out still) I can
actually get the matrox driver to work if I dont load the pex5, record, or
xtrap modules...  When I have a LOT more time, I'll trackdown what the
int10 module is doing that makes it barf.  This is the code that does ia32
emulation for initialization of the bios on cards that are plugged into
non-intel-platform boxes like alphas and sparcs etc.

The machine checks are harder since you dont get any kind of dump to
follow.  I guess gdb with lots of breakpoints might do it, but gdb of the
X server, with it's own dynamically loaded modules, using it's own module
loader, is rather tedious.

In short, if you just want a working X server, I know many people have had
good luck with matrox cards and X v3.x.  I'm not familliar with the exact
model you have (the PWS is the only alpha box I've ever had access to) so
your mileage may vary :).

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.