Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 20:23:49 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        "steve howe" <un_x@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: > 4 com ports.

steve howe writes:

> can i add more than the standard 4 com ports
> to my 2.2.2 system by merely adding them to my
> kernel config file, or must i make other changes?
> -
> after looing in sio.c and some other file i wonder
> if i need to make other changes -
> like adding port address to the
> "likely_com_ports" array in sio.c, etc.

I have 6. The 2 "standard" ones, plus an STB 4-com board which is able to
share IRQ's. The problem with this solution and adding more ports was that
there are only 1 or 2 I/O addresses left that the STB board supports. The
standard COM3 I/O address is consumed by by Mach32 video board.

This is from my kernel config file:

device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr

# STB 4-com
options         COM_MULTIPORT           #code for some cards with shared IRQs
device  sio2    at isa? port 0x1a8 tty flags 0x205 irq 10 vector siointr
device  sio3    at isa? port 0x1e8 tty flags 0x205
device  sio4    at isa? port 0x2a8 tty flags 0x205
device  sio5    at isa? port 0x3e8 tty flags 0x205

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net