Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:16:00 +0200 (EET)
From:      Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua>
To:        Jeremy Bogan <jeremy@segpub.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4 on flash disk and swap

Hello!

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Jeremy Bogan wrote:
>> In other words, does RELENG_4 kernel work stable and robust w/o swap or
>> should I provide a minimum-size swap device? Which configuration (1 or 2)
>> will give more robustness in case of physical memory shortage?
>
> I've got 4.11 running on a Geode based setup with 128MB RAM and a 64MB flash
> on chip, works a treat with no swap.

  I'm running some heavy tests on my machine (256Mb RAM, HDD, no swap,
4.11-RELEASE) such as "make buildwolrd". After successful completion of
this procedure I issued "rm -rf /usr/obj/usr" and got the following
(single) message from kernel:

Mar  3 11:05:32 test3 /kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace: failed

Does anybody know whether it's harmless?

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator
e-mail:  dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua