Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2017 20:20:49 +0000
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@tarsnap.com>
To:        Rafal Lukawiecki <raf@rafal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-cloud@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shutdown causing reboot in EC2

On 10/28/17 10:21, Rafal Lukawiecki wrote:
>> Technically it's the FreeBSD project's image. :-)
>
> I realise that. I am glad to be using it via the Marketplace so that it enables you and FreeBSD RE to count the popularity of the OS on AWS. I understand you would not get the count otherwise.

Just wanted to be clear. :-)

>> I guess the obvious question here is "what does it mean for a virtual machine
>> to be halted but not powered off”?
>
> I defer to you and to others who are more experienced than I to answer
> this. The ‘shutdown -h’ behaviour with Amazon Linux and CentOS on AWS is to
> power off. However, if reboot is what is supposed to happen in this case, I
> will gladly adjust to that, although it feels a little odd.

That wasn't so much a technical question as a philosophical question -- we've
inherited shutdown actions from how hardware in the 1980s worked, and since
'shutdown -h' doesn't have any clear meaning in a VM I don't know that anyone
gave it much thought.  Certainly I never did.

I suspect that the difference between Linux and FreeBSD here lies in how our
underlying Xen code handles shutdown events... to be completely frank, I don't
even know which code handles it under Xen HVM.  But it's probably a bad idea
to change it now, since some people have learned the existing behaviour.

--
Colin Percival