Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 2002 21:46:49 -0700
From:      Christopher Rosado <rbg@gayteenresource.org>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: microuptime went backwards ??

On Wed,  4 Dec 2002 14:41:50 +1030
bastill@adam.com.au wrote:

BCA>  Makes no difference.  As Greg Lehey explained earlier the only
BCA>  solution is to delete all reference to APM in your kernel config file.

He did?  I see no such message from him in this thread.

BCA>   "Disabled" means "still there but not being used".

Funnily enough, commenting it out in the kernel config certainly removes APM
support from the kernel... thus _disabling_ that particular feature.

BCA>  What we want is NOT PRESENT in any shape or form.

Again, merely commenting it out of the config is sufficient, though
completely removing it from the config serves the same purpose.  There is no
functional difference between commenting-out a feature and removing the
entry aside from leaving a reminder that the feature in question was
disabled; which is a good idea to do, since someone may forget that he'd
disabled/removed a feature for a reason if there's no visual reminder in the
config.

I won't argue semantics any further though since that's just silly.  All I
know is that when I switched to FreeBSD last year, I ran into this problem
(and lost a hard drive due to the innumerable spontaneous reboots in the
process), and the only way to fix it was to disable APM in the BIOS and
kernel.

--
Christopher Rosado