Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:05:05 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS-UP: doc/ tree slushie

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ

If memory serves me right, Ken Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 09:16:06AM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
>=20
> > Yeeek, what are those hard-coded version numbers doing in there?!?
> > Actually...are there some other related constants (i.e. amount of disk
> > space) that might need to be changed or otherwise track a version
> > number?  I haven't read the hubs article lately.
>=20
> The numbers were adjusted to current reality 2 or 3 months ago.

OK, sounds good.

> That
> said the hubs article does need more work.  We were trying to come to
> something resembling consensus on what being an Official Mirror Site
> meant but that discussion was going on at the same time we were
> planning changes to the content of the site (dropping branches/) so
> it seemed like it would be best to procrastinate a bit on trying to
> finish the discussion.  I'm not tracking more information about the
> sites and started to incorporate some of it into the article as well,
> which effects some of what's there (e.g. I added what access methods
> are available to the list of FTP mirror sites which makes the section
> about rsync hosts possibly defunct, but there was also http added
> as an access method and keeping separate lists of hosts for all three
> access methods seems a bit much...).

I'm actually not worried about the main content so much because it
seems to be that it's still being defined.  That's perfectly OK.

> The disk space numbers can't *really* be linked straight to an OS
> version because there is so much other stuff in the site.  The
> size of the ports/distfiles and to some extent the -current package
> sets fluctuate based on non-release-issues.

OK, sounds good.  I just didn't want us to be in a state where we were
changing version numbers but not other quantities that were strongly
related to the version numbers.

I was tempted to remove or rework the words "current state" from the
document and just manually increment the version numbers and space
requirements as new information becomes available.  But we're probably
fine for now by changing "4.8" to "4.9", as ceri's patch did.

Thanks!

Bruce.

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ--