Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 15:10:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
To:        Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apm disk spindown ?

Peter Radcliffe writes:
 > Has there been any work on spinning down disks from freebsd during
 > idleness ?
 >
 > My old laptop had a bios setting to spin the disk down, which when set
 > correctly could save me a reasonable amount of battery life. My new
 > laptop does not ...

When I moved from an AST machine to a Toshiba I found the same
problem.  I have diffs for an ioctl which allows the user to set a
disk idle spindown time and to force spindown as well as diffs for
"apm" to add flags "-w" and "-x" respectively.  I had some other
changes to vfs_subr.c for the syncer but I think Tony Finches latest
posted changes there are probably better.

Since I've been wanting to incorporate his changes anyway, I'll do
that now and create a new set of diffs for the kernel mods, apm mods,
etc.  Just let me know if you're interested.

This is all based on 3.4.

/raj