Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 15:23:28 -0700
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Johan Karlsson <k@numeri.campus.luth.se>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Add note to UPDATING (was: Re: inetd_enable

>> If sendmail_enable=NO, then the next one is sendmail_submit_enable which,
>> by default, is YES.  That one starts a daemon that only listens on
>> localhost.  See /etc/mail/README for more information.

DougB> Well, I would have thought that this pretty well solves the
DougB> majority of the problems, however given that you've already made your
DougB> decision about changing the default back to its original state, the
DougB> discussion is moot.

I am trying to avoid the inevitable, "I upgraded to 4.6 and sendmail no
longer accepts incoming mail." support issue given that the change wasn't
documented and violated POLA.

As I've said before, if FreeBSD 4.6 is to be the release in which all
network services are disabled by default, and that is well documented, I'm
perfectly happy to change to sendmail_enable=NO.