Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:51:23 -0500
From:      "W. D." <WD@US-Webmasters.com>
To:        Newton <nlunkel@ig.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installer

At 15:14 10/12/2004, Newton wrote:
>Dear Friends : I'm a Linux user since 1,999 and I'm really interested in=20
>start FreeBSD. OK, it's a new system, different versions and so on. My=20
>experience with computers started with Basic, after MS-DOS, Windows and=20
>Linux. When I tried Linux, 5 years-ago, partitions, kde, window maker =20
>and many of them, were only words. My first fear, was erase my HD. I did=20
>it many times, but I knew how to start again or recover. I'm writing=20
>these things, cause in these years using Linux, I saw a big evolution ,=20
>specially the installer. Mandrake, Red Hat, Fedora, Slackware and=20
>another, made a goob job and you can do it , almost without problems.=20
>But, when I tried FreeBSD installer, I remembered Debian, the worst=20
>installer ! Probably another distributions, like Knoppix, Kurumin ,=20
>Gnoppix to name a few, trying to make the life user easiest ! My first=20
>experience with FreeBSD, was 5.0, with a PC Master, brazilian magazine.=20
>After many tries, a XFree86 error, when I typed startx, disappointed me=20
>again and, I forgot it... On the last month, I downloaded the 2 CDs,=20
>5.2.1, and, the same installer, errors, infinite loops... very=20
>disappointing ! I tried many lists, and with some support,to resolve or=20
>not, the problems. Again, I format my system and, here I am, with=20
>Windows (mainly for games and a problematic usb scanner) and Linux. I=20
>need a more stable system. Many people talked me very good about=20
>FreeBSD. For me, until now , the biggest deception ! Please, I don't=20
>know the FreeBSD objectives, but if you would like that more and more=20
>people can use it, CHANGE this installer. Confuse , in one word !=20
>Disappointing ! I tried standard, express, custom , all packages,=20
>minimum, all kind of ways... I can't understand a looped install. Almost=20
>2 hours after, an error... My video card is recognized , but when you=20
>did post-install, not ! You tried many XFrre86 configs and not.... When=20
>something happens and finally you can start KDE or GNOME or another,=20
>DHCP don't run and so on. Please change this installer and trying to=20
>better hardware and network configuration ! Until this, I'll never tried=20
>FreeBSD again ! Sincerely, Newton - Curitiba - Brazil

Hi Newton,

Definitely the installer (sysinstall) needs to made more
user friendly.  Since FreeBSD is a volunteer project, anyone
can work on a new 'user-friendly' version.  How 'bout you?  ;^)

I had trouble at first installing FreeBSD, but once I put
together a procedure list for myself, it doesn't take much time
at all:
http://www.US-Webmasters.com/FreeBSD/Install/

I recommend you start from 'scratch' and install it on a=20
blank hard drive.

Good luck!

Start Here to Find It Fast!=99 ->=
 http://www.US-Webmasters.com/best-start-page/