Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:17:17 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Sanket Somnath Hase <sanket@cmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, duppugan@andrew.cmu.edu, chandramouli@cmu.edu
Subject:   Re: interested in working on freeBSD

Sanket Somnath Hase wrote:
> Hi Matt ,
>
> We are graduate students at Carnegie Mellon University. We are enrolled in
> a course (Operating systems practicum http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~412/ ) which
> involves hands-on experience with operating-system code as it is developed
> and deployed in the real world. Murray Stokley referred us to you.
>
> We were thinking of contibuting to FreeBSD.We read through the description of your project "Rewrite the in-kernel file system syncer" and found it interesting.Could you let us know the status of this project? It will be great if you could mention some related readings.
>
> We have already taken an operating system design and implementation class
> (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~410/ ) before where we developed a UNIX like
> kernel from scratch. We have fair experience in reading-coding-debugging
> kernel code. All three of us interned at core systems group at companies
> like Google and Oracle in the past summer.
>
> Our team can invest 30 hours per week, for a period of 12 weeks of this
> Fall semester. We are wondering if we can contribute to FreeBSD.
> It will be great if you could give us some pointers towards such work.
>
> Looking forward to hear from you,

Now that you have introduced yourself (step 1) that leaves only
the following steps.

2/ look at the source to decide what is currently done.

3/ find who works in that area (use the CVS logs from the CVS web interface) to
see who's been active in that area and try contact them to co-ordinate.
(if no one answers that means you can proceed).

5/ discuss your changes and keep us up to date in arch@freebsd.org for initial
discussions on ideas and current@freebsd.org when you are implementing and need
to discuss things with people.

6/ announce calls for testers and code drops when you are near completion.

7/ take a vacation.

Except for politeness (not stepping on other people's work) you don't need
to ask permission to do any work on this or any FreeBSD component.

If the work is good and well documented, and passes a good review, it will
be accepted back.