Date:      Tue, 04 May 1999 17:10:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Seth <seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.1 remote reboot exploit (fwd)

In my defense (and to reiterate):

1)  I saw this hit bugtraq and, having seen nothing on any lists about
it, assumed (correctly, as it turns out) that the customary "vendor"
notifications had not been sent.  I therefore sent it to -stable and to
security@freebsd.org.

2)  I am not the one claiming the alleged vulnerability.  I'm the one
reporting that it was claimed.  (It seems I need to make this clear due
to the numerous emails from cranky BSD citizens criticizing me for posting
to bugtraq before notifying security@.  Once again: **I didn't post this
to bugtraq!**  I merely saw it there and passed it along.  I have NO IDEA
whether this is a real vulnerability, but I thought it was something the
security folks should know about as soon as possible, either to try to
reproduce [unlikely given the lack of details] or to prepare a response.)

Sorry if it seems like I'm doing damage control.  I am, in a way.  I'm
just tired of the senseless flames I'm getting accusing me of heinous
crimes against the freebsd community -- crimes for which I have, and will
accept, no responsibility.

SB