Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 20:52:37 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   pccardd, pccard and memory mapping

Hello,

In fixing a few things for the if_ray driver I've discovered major abuses and
inconsitancies in the used of shared memory for PCCards under pccardd/OLDCARD.

At present

        o pccardd assumes that any devices that has shared memory is an
          ed device.
        o pccardd sets all memory to be 16bit
        o pccardd sets all memory to have an offset in the address space that
          suits ed cards
        o pccardc abuses (not necessarily delibrately) memory window 0
          this can cause unmapping of the current cards memory area
          (eg. pccardc rdattr).

Because of these problems there are some drivers for ethernet and wireless LAN
cards that don't use memory mapped access to the card.

I reckon that tidying this up will not be too much work as only a few drivers
are affected.

However, I would like to solicit opinions on whether doing this would be
worthwhile given NEWCARD? Is NEWCARD ever going to reach -stable? If not,
I think that tidying up this area would be useful.

Duncan

---