Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 1999 23:32:53 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        ken@kdm.org
Cc:        groudier@club-internet.fr, dkelly@hiwaay.net, syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seagate vs Quantum.. opinions?

> In any case, David, I'd say try the following things, in light of what
> Gerard said:
>
>  - first, try using the -v switch, -f phys (instead of block format, since
>    only Quantum disks seem to support it, and the SCSI-2 spec says: "NOTE
>    110 The use of the block format is not recommended. There is no universal
>    model that sensibly defines the meaning of the logical block address of
>    a defect. In the usual case, a defect that has been reassigned no longer
>    has a logical block address.") and -PG.

Using -v results in "CAM status is 0" here.

>  - If that doesn't work, try increasing the dlist_length parameter in
>    readdefects() in src/sbin/camcontrol/camcontrol.c to 65536.

Are you sure you mean 65536? If I try 65536, it *seems* to work (no error
message), but all I get is "Got 0 defects". But I'm wondering if 65536 is
being interpreted as 0 (because this is a 2 byte field). I tried a slightly
smaller number (65532), and got the expected error messages.

I don't believe this is a result of a defect larger than 65536, since it
happens with several disks here, some of them pretty new.

> It would also be helpful to see what happens on an Adaptec controller, as
> this could be the result of a bug in the NCR driver.

It works just fine on an Adaptec controller, no problem retrieving defect
list from IBM disks using "camcontrol defects -f phys -P". With an NCR
based controller, the kernel logs

(pass0:ncr0:0:2:0): extraneous data discarded.
(pass0:ncr0:0:2:0): COMMAND FAILED (9 0) @0xc086c200.

and camcontrol says "error reading defect list: Input/output error".

I think we need the NCR driver experts.