Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:02:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        s337240@student.uq.edu.au (Trent Waddington)
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stallman stalls again

> If your changes really do make such activities much easier, more
> feasible in practice, then I think it would have been better if you
> had never implemented the feature.  And now it would be better now if
> you take these changes off your web site, and don't mention that they
> exist.  Of course, someone else really determined could redo the work,
> the extra burden of doing so might dissuade people from trying.

Stallman is a luddite moron.  If his having a "manifesto" wasn't
sufficient, this statement clearly identifies him as the Theodore
Kazinski of free software.

Any philosophy which would allow him to arrive at the idea that
you can stop ideas is fundamentally flawed.  Ideas have their
time; they are at best delaying the inevitable.

History shows us that there is NOTHING which "would be better had
it not been invented".  Even the most terrible weapons teach us,
humanity, lessons which could not be learned any other way.

Technology or science is not good or evil; it is the uses to
which people put it which are good or evil.

Stallman, Kazinski, and other people who want to retard progress
are saying that they don't trust people to do the right thing.
You have to have a real dim view of humanity, and be either an
atheist, a theist who doesn't trust their God, or insane.

The jury is still out on which category Bill Joy is in, after his
paranoid rant on how we shouldn't even engage in research on
nanotechnology; what does he think genetic research is?  It's
nanotechnology in a high level language, without access to the
source code or enough information to use the assembler.  He's
not against that.

Haven't the vast majority of us given up burning and drowning
people to "save" them since the 1600's?

Stallman never ceases to amaze me; I think he's done the most
infuriating thing he's capable of doing, and each time he tops
himself.

The moron can't even design a license to have the emergent
properties necessary to achieve his own "manifesto"; if his
thinking is that flawed, there's no telling how he will
react to any given stimulus.

My advice: shout your code from the highest steeple.  Start a
project on SourceForge (or whatever).  Make it impossible to
stop the work by stopping you: you will be a target in his
eyes until you do, and he has a history of attempting to
discredit his opponents, rather than winning over them on
merit.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---