Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 2004 00:20:41 +0200
From:      "Lasse L. Johnsen" <lasse@freebsdcluster.org>
To:        xyberpix <xyberpix@xyberpix.com>
Cc:        Dustin Puryear <dustin@puryear-it.com>
Subject:   Re: Cluster help

Hello,

Have a look at freevrrpd
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/net/freevrrpd/pkg-descr) it a nice
tool for sharing one IP address between two machines.

So for instance machine A has IP 10.0.0.2 and machine B has IP 10.0.0.3. If you
run vrrpd on them both, you can give machine A the additional IP address
10.0.0.1, machine B will then constantly check that machine A is running. In
case it's not, machine B will assume the IP address 10.0.0.1. vrrpd also
provide hooks for launching various scripts when a switch happen so you can
start up say a postfix instance on machine B to take over the job of machine A.

(I'm sure the documentation explains it better than me).

Hope you make it work.

Br,

Lasse