Date:      Sun, 03 Jun 2001 00:04:55 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
To:        mdavis@cts.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org, wollman@FreeBSD.org, gad@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: lpd: Malformed from address

>>>>> On Sat, 2 Jun 2001 04:23:18 -0700
>>>>> "Morgan Davis" <mdavis@cts.com> said:

mdavis> After upgrading two different FreeBSD 4.2 systems to 4.3, they both
mdavis> began to exhibit trouble when trying to print to their lpd processes.
mdavis> Watching the raw traffic via tcpdump, both are failing immediately when
mdavis> lpd tries to resolve the connecting client's address in chkhost():

mdavis>         error = getnameinfo(f, f->sa_len, NULL, 0, serv, sizeof(serv),
mdavis>                             NI_NUMERICSERV);
mdavis>         if (error || atoi(serv) >= IPPORT_RESERVED)
mdavis>                 fatal(0, "Malformed from address");

mdavis> It can be exercised via telnet:

mdavis> # telnet golf printer
mdavis> Trying 205.163.23.102...
mdavis> Connected to golf.cts.com.
mdavis> Escape character is '^]'.
mdavis> lpd: Malformed from address
mdavis> Connection closed by foreign host.

mdavis> This happens on both systems, different kernels, one running named and
mdavis> one not.  What in the world could be causing this?

When I ported IPv6 support into FreeBSD from NetBSD, I wrongly brought
reserved port checking code into FreeBSD.  Originally, FreeBSD's lpd
didn't check validity of connection by checking if it comes from
reserved port.
However, since lpd relies on r-authentication, it should be expected.
Though it is easy to get rid of reserved port checking, we should have
some considerlation.  Any suggestion?

ume@mahoroba.org  ume@bisd.hitachi.co.jp  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/