Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 21:55:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Thomas C. Lam" <tplam@jps.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X Windows

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Thomas C. Lam wrote:

>    I'm new to FreeBSD and was wondering how come I don't see anythings
>in X Windows (like applications or Config panel etc...) You know those
>could be found in RehHat X windows by clicking on either the LF or RT
>button.

That is because you are using the default window manager called twm. Allow
me to explain. X Windows does not handle the windows. X only gives you the
ability to draw a bitmapped display.

The Config panels you speak of in Redhat are a function of the window
manager and not a function of X.

You need a window manager to handle the windows to provide functionality
like mouse menus and such. Many window managers are completely user
configurable by editing text files.

I recommend trying fvwm2. It is stable and powerful. The default config is
pretty dull. I recommend going to http://www.themes.org/ to see how one
can really spruce up a desktop. There are some very luscious desktops out
there.

If you want good coolness with minimum effort try the "K Desktop
Environment". http://www.kde.org/

Both fvwm2 and kde are FreeBSD ports/packages and very easy to install.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/