Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 2009 18:31:16 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        Sean Cavanaugh <Millenia2000@hotmail.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DNS Question

--------------enig8D48B21E1AC1E1303AB038FF

Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Hi--
>=20
> On Oct 23, 2009, at 9:18 AM, Sean Cavanaugh wrote:
>>> worse, it's illegal.
>>
>> how is this illegal? if you are residing your domain on a hosting=20
>> service, this makes sense to me. Granted its bad form and should have =

>> an A record to the host for the main domain record, but if i had=20
>> control over "otherdomain.com" and not "example.com" and had to change=
=20
>> the IP address, "example.com" would be dead until i was able to reach =

>> the owner of that domain and have them change their DNS info.
>=20
> You aren't supposed to use CNAMES for anything found in other RR's; in =

> particular, you should always use an A record with the hostnames used=20
> for nameservers (ie, have an NS record), because you are supposed to be=
=20
> using the canonical name rather than an alias.

Errr?  You mean the rule that NS and MX and SRV rdata must include an A r=
ecord
rather than a CNAME?  That's true, but what does that have to do with web=

serving?=20

The illegality mentioned further upthread is that you can't use a CNAME a=
t a zone apex because of the 'CNAME and other data rule'[*] -- as there's=
 always got to be SOA and NS records at the zone apex, if you want a web =
page at 'example.com' you'ld have to provide an A or AAAA record for it. =
 Unless you're Verisign and have control over the nameservers for .com, t=
his is almost certainly illegal:

example.com. IN CNAME www.example.com

On the other hand:

www.example.com. IN CNAME example.com.

is generally fine.

> PS: It's odd where google pulls up references to fairly canonical
> docs, sometimes.  I'm not sure I even recognize "ua", and I suspect I
> deal with two-letter ISO 3166 country names more than most folks do.
> Maybe Ukraine?  :-)

Of course it's Ukraine.  .uk was already taken, even though the two lette=
iso-code for this country is officially .gb.  We're in an exclusive club =
of
two nations that generally don't use their official iso-code in the DNS. =
 No
prizes for guessing which the other one is.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Little known factoid, but there are two legal exceptions to the 'CNAM=
and other data' rule.  You can have RRSIG or NSEC records at the same lab=
el
as CNAME -- see RFC 4035.  Obscure DNS trivia for 100, Alex...

--=20
                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW