Date:      Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:04:34 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_K=F6nig?= <bkoenig@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        Gayn Winters <gayn.winters@mail.bristolsystems.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spyware on FreeBSD?

Gayn Winters wrote:

> How immune is a FreeBSD system from spyware?  For sure, we should all be
> following the standard advice of NEVER surfing the web using the root
> account!  Thus a modification of this question is: if we do not surf the
> web using root, can we still get infected with spyware?

I think it's irrelevant whether you use FreeBSD or any other operating
system. In my opinion the most critical factors are the user and the
installed software, e.g. your browser and your mail client. Surprisingly
this applies to Windows too; you can keep privacy if you follow some
essential rules, even with Windows.

Björn