Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2012 16:30:34 -0500
From:      ajtiM <lumiwa@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>, Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ports patch count

On Friday 01 June 2012 04:25:12 Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 01/06/2012 09:34, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
> > On 6/1/12 9:49 AM, Brent Clark wrote:
> >> Hiya
> >>
> >> I would just like to ask / know. Did anything weird or wonderful happen
> >> on the FreeBSD ports.
> >>
> >> To show you what I mean.
> >>
> >> [root@torry /usr/home/bclark]# portaudit -F -a; portsnap fetch update;
> >> pkg_version -vIL=; freebsd-update  fetch install
> >> auditfile.tbz                                 100% of   77 kB 6570  Bps
> >> 00m00s
> >> New database installed.
> >> 0 problem(s) in your installed packages found.
> >> Looking up portsnap.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 9 mirrors found.
> >> Fetching snapshot tag from geodns-1.portsnap.freebsd.org... done.
> >> Fetching snapshot metadata... done.
> >> Updating from Thu May 31 19:58:31 SAST 2012 to Fri Jun  1 08:51:05 SAST
> >> 2012.
> >> Fetching 4 metadata patches... done.
> >> Applying metadata patches... done.
> >> Fetching 0 metadata files... done.
> >> Fetching 4180 patches.....10....20....30....40....
> >>
> >> 4180 patches really !!!
> >>
> >> I run the above command almost everyday, so the most I have ever really
> >> seen is 300 - 400 patches. But 4180 has got me attention.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Brent
> >
> > I may be mistaken but I would guess it has to do with the
> > vulnerabilities addressed in OpenSSL in the 30/05/2012 update.
> >
> > I'm assuming authors have bumped their ports' revision numbers to force
> > a rebuild, using the patched openssl lib.
>
> There might be a little of that, but most of the recent activity is
> accounted for by
>
>    * Numerous ports moving to the new OPTIONSng framework
>
>    * Hundreds of PORTREVISION bumps after an update to graphics/png
>
>    * Removal of old koffice ports and the import of the Calligra office
>      suite to replace it.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

My system is FreeBSD 9.0 Release and the lst time I use Clang. It works very
good but the lst problem was with Calligra which didn't built.

As I red in /usr/ports/UPDATING I ran portmaster -r png- and there are so many
ports which should be rebuild.
My question is: Is it better (safer) to use gcc or try clang? Or is it better
to not update png?

Thanks in advance.

Mitja
--------