Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:33:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MACHINE CHECK with dd

Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it writes:

 > dd bs=145600000 if=pp of=pp2
 >
 > pp is a file of 145600000 bytes.
 > this is a working repeatable example.
 > if I issue it the machine crashes every time (machine check error).
 > Any ideas ???

Yes.  The same idea I had when you complained about machine checks
before -- you've got flaky hardware.

When you use such a large blocksize, you're causing dd to grow _VERY_
large (roughly 140MB).  This stresses the memory system, as well as
the I/O system.  If you have less that 150MB or so of ram, you're
going to start paging heavily as well.  This is the sort of scenario
where if you've got hardware problems with a machine, you're going to
see them.

Also bear in mind that the apecs was the first workstation class alpha
pci chipset that DEC ever did, and may not be as solid as their later
producsts.  It certainly doesn't perform as well (see
ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/SRC/publications/shand/fccm97.pdf)

We had a few AS400s (basically the same thing as your AS255) that
would crash every few months with a machine check error when running
Tru64.

So, in conclusion, either don't push it so hard, or replace the
failing hardware.

Drew