Date:      Wed, 2 May 2007 18:30:26 -0400
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nvidia how too?

On Wednesday 02 May 2007 06:16:17 pm David Kalliecharan wrote:
> I would like to know how too install the Nvidia drivers for a Geforce 6150
> on a laptop, I am not sure which method to use, I do not have the laptop
> yet I will in a day. Do I use the ports method in FreeBSD or do I download
> the file off of Nvidia's and follow their instructions. I would like to
> know the best solution, I prefer stable over an update (keeping in mind
> compatibility with the geforce 6150) The reason I ask is because I am
> unsure about any special configurations that may need to be applied to the
> kernel or something else. If anyone can point me the right direction to go
> I would really appreciate it.

I would recommend using the port. It uses the same binary as the one you would
download manually but also takes care of some other things for you (and you
can use normal package management tools without fear of clobbering your
manual installation).

Check the hardware list in the README
(http://us.download.nvidia.com/freebsd/1.0-9746/README/appendix-a.html) to
see which version(s) of the driver support your chipset. There are now
two "legacy" versions of the driver that support chipsets no longer supported
in the newest versions. It looks like the geforce 6150 is supported in the
newest version though so you should be fine.

You shouldn't need any special kernel config, although it's helpful to be
aware that the GENERIC kernel ships with FreeBSD agpgart enabled (device
agp). Nvidia offers their own agpgart, but you need to disable or remove the
native agpgart to use it.

The README from nvidia is the most complete documentation for the driver and
applies whether you install the driver from ports or manually. Give it a
read..

JN