Date:      Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:22:17 -0600
From:      pixfbsd <pixfbsd@earthlink.net>
To:        Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: printer job date change

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 23:08, Malcolm Kay wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:04, pixfbsd wrote:
> > I have FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT.
> >
> > /etc/printcap
> > hp2200:\
> >
> >         :sh:\
> >         :rm=hp2200:\
> >         :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd/hp2200:\
> >         :mx#0:\
> >         :if=/usr/local/libexec/hpif2:\
> >         :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
> >
> > /usr/local/libexec/hpif
>
> I notice that the actual filter referenced in printcap is hpif2;
> not hpif.
oops my mistake, I have another hp printer in the printcap that also
references hpif.  I cp hpif hpif2.  And was experimenting with different
PJL commands to try to get it to change the date.  Therefore the
discrepancy.

> I would have expected that this would be where the PJL command is
> added.
>
> If some how it is added ahead of the filter you could edit the filter to
> pass the input though sed to change the date in the PJL command
> to whatever you want.
do you have an example idea? or a possible syntax form as a experiment
point.  I actually tried to grep the specific date out but since the
dfA009exampleFile is a binary file, it errors.  I'm not too good with
sed.

Other pertinent information I left out.  I'm running a SAMBA server that
is getting the print job from a windows machine.  I was assuming that
the PJL information was coming from the HP drivers on the windows
workstation.