Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:09:29 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
Cc:        virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: limitations on jail style virtualization

On 11/13/10 1:30 PM, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2010, Julian Elischer wrote:
>
> Hi Julian,
>
>> We discussed this at MeetBSD last week and it woudl seem that the next
>> big hurdle for virtualization would seem to be a good concept to allow
>> jails to have virtual versions of various virtual devices..
>>
>> for example
>>
>> pf has been virtualized (when IS that patch going to get
>> committed?) but pfsync
>> and pflog use special devices in /dev.
>>
>> similarly bpf uses /dev entries but the way they are used means
>> they are still useful.
>>
>> so what happend when a device that is accessed from within a jail
>> creates a cloning device?
>> should it just turn up in the devfs for that jail?
>> and should it be visible in other jails that happen to be sharing
>> the same /dev?
>>

>> I have no preconceived ideas abot this. Just possibilities.
>>
>> should the cloning code work alongside a new devfs feature that
>> would make
>> 'per jail' entries?  i.e. tun0 would be a different device
>> depending on what jail
>> you were in looking at the /dev?
>

> For a discussion summary that sounds sparse unless it was only a short
> brainstorming;-)  Can you please elaborate on the "we" and other "use
> cases" as this really sounds like a per-interface decision to me and
> there might be work in progress from multiple people already.
It was only a short discussion among "non developers" during a short
breakout session.
the session was "what is this VIMAGE/jails thing"?
and was not a dev-summit  meeting but an "introduction to vimage" for
end users.

During the discussion people were asking questions that they had. Some
of the questions
I could answer well but others resulted in discussions that ended up
with things like,
"we you could do that but that would require that you had a different
/dev/pfsync for
each jail, and we have no way to do that yet".

I promised the group that after the meeting I would bring up the topic
with other interested
developers... so here we are..