Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 01:38:00 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1014536281.2bfaf3@mired.org>
To:        Balaji <balajibsd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Has anyone done VFS kernel programming here?

Balaji <balajibsd@yahoo.com> types:
> If anyone of u has done some kernel programming with respect to files
> in the User space..... Could u please tell me how to acquire the file
> structure for a file when you are given the pathname??? Even a uio and
> an iovec structure would suffice. Please this is very urgent..... I
> need a (struct file *) returned for a given file pathname.... Help me!!

Let's see - an iovec is collection of pointers and lengths used to
scatter/gather io with a file object. A uio is an iovec along with kernel
state space for the same read or write. A struct file is part of the
kernel descriptor table, with one for each open vnode or socket.

I think you're confused. uio and iovec's are entirely different
animals than a struct file. A struct file is associated with an open
vnode or socket. An iovec - and any uio wrapped around one - describes
an io operation.

As matter of fact, there may not *be* a struct file anywhere in the
system associated with a given pathname. That makes it sort of hard to
give you a general procedure for finding it.

Maybe if you told us what you were doing, instead of asking for things
that aren't there, we can help you get there.

	<mike