Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 19:26:09 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   CPU_TYPE involves compilation of some ports ...

I regret that either I expressed myself the wrong way or several guys seem
to be impatient in reading what I wrote.

Here is again what I have to ask for or make my statement for:

I can not exactly say when this described phenomenon occured the first time, but
several days ago, I think it was around the last days in March or very early
in April, I compiled ports on both architectures, Intel and AMD and on each
system I have had the appropriate CPU type enabled in /etc/make.conf.
On both types, I use at this specific moment separated trees to compile ports,
means: each machine has its own ports tree.

On Intel systems, I can compile each port (except open-motif and xv) with
CPU type set to pentiumpro (all are SMP systems running with PIII CPUs).
No problem!!

On AMD based system, XFree86-4, gimp1, pgp6, Mesa3 wont compile while
CPU type is declared as k7, k6 or k6-2 (compiler options are always switched
towards k6, so it doesn't matter!). If I remove this option in /etc/make.conf
to come down to the base i386/i486 compatibility, all packages compile perfect
(except open-motif and xv, but this seems to be a missing file to patch by the newest
ports' update, patch produces an error ...).

I made prior this year a posting about conflicts with setting CPU options!
I like the performance hints I get by setting the appropriate CPU type, but in
some cases it is a little bit dangerous if you rely on several packages you
need to compile. as I said, on Intel machines all things are clear, but on
AMD machines I run into trouble. Maybe this has something to do with
the revision change of the gcc compiler suite when we grow up into FreeBSD
revision 4.3-RC/STABLE.

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)