Date:      20 Sep 1999 14:22:49 +0300
From:      Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
To:        zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu (Zhihui Zhang)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple routes to the same destination

zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu (Zhihui Zhang) writes:

> As said by the 4.4 BSD book (page 423), 4.4 BSD does not support multiple
> routes to the same destination (identical key and mask). Does the radix
> tree code in FreeBSD - 4.0 has the same limitation?  I am wondering if
> there is already a solution for this?

How would the routing code use multiple routes?  You'd need additional
rules to determine how to use them (e.g. round-robin for load
balancing).

In some cases where you want something unusual, you can use different
net sizes for the same net.  The code selects the route with the
smallest net (or at least used to - I don't know whether this is
documented behavior).

Note that the destination presumably means the destination where the
data being routed should end up, not the gateway it is sent to.
Multiple routes referring to the same gateway are obviously supported.