Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 15:25:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, optimedia@opti.com
Subject:   Re: OPTI931 information

> >From The Desk Of Luigi Rizzo :
> You do software encoding of ulaw to bypass the existing program.

> At least the snd3.5 driver has bits which flag if the card supports
> the audio format. So in your case it should not be hard to implement
> provided of course that you haven't found a work around for your
> problem 8)

so does my driver for the soundblaster, and so I have done yesterday
late night when I decided that the OPTI931 was buggy, but this cuts the
resolution to 8 bits whereas ULAW would have 12-13 (and the codec has
16, but doing 16bit<->ulaw8bit in the driver is a real mess, with the
requirement of large conversion tables and lenghts which must be
recomputed...)

> 	Have fun,

	Not really! :)

	Cheers