Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2018 16:51:45 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Convert .flac and .ape to mp3

On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 23:34:21 +0700
Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> What do you convert ape and flac audio files to mp3 with?
>
> multimedia/ffmpeg does not seem to support encoding to mp3 (only
> decoding), what else could I try?

	The package doesn't support creating mp3 files for legal reasons,
but if you build the port and enable the LAME option then you can encode
mp3s with ffmpeg. Alternatively you can build the lame port decode to pcm
(or wav) and then encode with lame.

	I'm fairly sure that all the mp3 encoders require building ports
for legal reasons.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>