Date:      Wed, 8 May 2002 15:10:15 +0200
From:      Christophe Prevotaux <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   UDLR

Hi,

I have once asked if someone would be interested in implementing UDLR
and DVMRP and include it in FreeBSD ?

Julian Elischer mentioned it would be fairly trivial to implement as a
node in Netgraph. However I am no programmer.

I was wondering if no one had interest in UDLR ? I understand that today's
broadband access do not require these unidirectional links, but I can't
believe no one needs this, since they are also plenty of other use for it
apart from the fact it can be used for unidirectional link (one way
internet access (uplink is done thru a modem or a different kind of
internet access link))

If someone is interested in develloping this, there is some code source
available (it is FreeBSD Release 2.2.x. based and has not been maintained
for a long time).

Receivers boards
================
DVB-S PCI adapter drivers are also needed for devices from any of these
manufacturers

http://www.coship.com/English/products/cdvbany2010s.htm
http://www.broadlogic.com
http://www.pentamedia.com
http://www.twinhan.com.tw

who might be ready to lend or give out hardware in order to help
devellopement of these drivers.

Uplink boards
=============
These boards must be able to:

- Transmit IP packet over DVB/MPEG 2 transport stream

- Variable maximum data rate determined by external clock generator,
  transparent for reception cards

- ISA Bus

As of today I have not found (yet) transmit (uplink) boards manufacturer

As for uplink boards the devellopement of such drivers are to be a problem
since it is very unlikely that anyone as a personal space segment on a DVB
capable satellite and the necessary hardware

However if anyone has ideas on how to build a test cheap unit for uplink
and downlink testing locally , please let me know.

Also since Bill Fenner is both part of the UDLR IETF BOARD and member of
the Mbone FreeBSD Team, we have a great source of internal knowledge in
this protocol etc...(In the event that Bill agrees to help (of course))

http://people.freebsd.org/~fenner/

I have contacted the author of the RFC for UDLR Emmanuel Duros but as of
now it is to no avail since he has not answered my email (it has been
several months)

Here are some pointers to some available literature and source code:

What is UDLR (Short introduction)
=================================
http://www.actconferences.com/sif2002/abstract/udlr.htm

RFCs , Drafts and Charter
=========================
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/udlr-charter.html

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-udlr-pppoe-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-udlr-multicast-issues-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-udlr-security-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-udlr-dvmrp-conf-02.txt

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3077.txt
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1075.txt

Source code
http://www-sop.inria.fr/rodeo/personnel/eduros/manu.html

Christophe Prevotaux        Email: c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr
HEXANET SARL                URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/
Z.A.C Les Charmilles        Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05
3 Allée Thierry Sabine      Direct: +33 (0)3 26 79 08 02
BP202                       Fax: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 06
51686 Reims Cedex 2
FRANCE                   HEXANET Network Operation Center